You can make your application for a secondary school place from 12th September of the previous year, when your child is in Year 6. The national application deadline is 31st October.
Secondary School Open Evenings
Open Evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, and their parents and carers, to attend and view schools; the planned dates for the Year 6 open evenings are as follows:
Open Evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, parents and carers to attend and view schools; the planned dates for the Year 6 open evenings are as follows:
- Tuesday 26th September – Fulford School
- Wednesday 27th September – Huntington School
- Thursday 28th September – Milthorpe School
- Tuesday 3rd October – All Saints Roman Catholic School
- Wednesday 4th October – York High School
- Thursday 5th October – Vale of York Academy
- Tuesday 10th October – Joseph Rowntree School
- Wednesday 11th October – Archbishop Holgate’s Church of England School
- Thursday 12th October – Manor Church of England Academy
We advise that you check school websites for confirmation of the Open Evening arrangements.
Guide for Parents/School Catchment Areas
Please read the Guide for Parents before applying for a school place, it contains key information on school admissions for parents/carers. You can also find the Guide to School Catchment Areas online.
How to apply
You can apply online at www.york.gov.uk/schooladmissions from 12th September 2023. With an online application you will receive an email confirming submission of your application and the ability to view your application and results online at a later date.
If you have difficulty applying online, you can contact the admissions team on 01904 551 554, who can talk you through how to apply. If you can’t apply online you can request a paper Secondary Application Form.
You need to ensure that you have applied, either online (and submitted your application) or by returning a Secondary Application Form, by the deadline of 31st October 2023.
If you applied online, your application result will be available online from 10.00am on National Offer Day, which is 1st March (or next working day). You’ll require your username and password.
If you didn’t apply online, you’ll receive a letter confirming your application result a few days later.
Supplementary Information Forms
You may also need to provide additional information (such as proof of baptism), or complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) if you’re applying to a school:
- outside the City of York area, or
- a faith school, such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary school
Check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but always make your school place application to your home Local Authority.